Friday, April 26, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Lunada Bay Barbershop

I went to Torrance High School with this guy named John Rios.  The story I heard was that John got injured while working for Fedex and was able to collect some money for hurting his back.  John used that money to buy a barbershop. John and I have a handful of mutual friends. We were never super close, but he's someone I can drive across the country with and we would probably never run out of things to talk about.  My visits with John are always cut too short. I should give him a call soon to say hello.

In 2004, John contacted us to build him some cabinets. So for three hours, I sat there and watched him cut hair.  I asked him hundreds of questions and he had hundreds of complaints.... "the health department needs all the clippers to be covered, so there's a hole on the side of the cabinet to put all of our clippers in.  The problem is that all the cords will get tangled up and if I pull one clipper out, another clipper will fall out onto the floor.  It's expensive to replace a damaged blade, but it happens all time!"

(click on the pictures to enlarge to full size)


We met all of his requests and had we fun with the project.  I think he was happy with the results. 



We worked into the wee hours on installation day so the shop can be open for business the next morning.  This picture was taken by John at 4am. 

(That's me on the left and Larry on the right)


And for good measure - 


No comments:

Post a Comment